This is the nationally recognised qualification for people with health and safety responsibilities. These include: Safety Officers, Health and Safety Representatives, Managers or Supervisors who have a health and safety role within their organisations. It is particularly relevant as it is now compulsory for employers to:
- Appoint “competent persons” to act as Health and Safety Advisor(s) within their company or organisation
- Provide adequate Health and Safety training for all their employees
- Produce a written Health and Safety Policy for their organisation
- Carry out Risk Assessments covering their premises activities
- Be responsible for the safety and welfare of their staff, their customers and the public in general who may be affected by the company’s activities
These requirements, complex as they may seem are only a part of the Health and Safety regulations. Fire safety, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health, Electrical Safety, Machinery Safety, Confined Spaces and Protective Equipment are further examples of the legal requirements with which employers are now obliged to comply.